Monday, September 26, 2005

Playing the Bagpipes WITHOUT a Sombrero

I play the Scottish Highland Bagpipes for a lot of funerals, weddings, parties, corporate events in Southern Arizona. I always get asked about my surname and let them know that I do not pipe wearing a sombrero...not that there's anything wrong with sombreros. I'm always looking for a shady spot when piping outside in AZ wrapped in wool!

My surname 'Don Carlos' goes back to the royal family in Spain. At least that is the legend. What I do know is that I'm the seventh generation in the USA. The original boat landing was about 20 years after the Mayflower. Along the way Don Carlos' served in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War (both a drummer boy and an officer under Gen. Sherman), and WWII. They also had the good sense to marry Scots, Irish, French, German, and English lasses, so my folk include both MacKenzie and Gilloogly, respectively as well as other influences. The Irish Gillooglys came from Co. Fermanagh because of the great potato famine in the mid-19th century.

It is interesting to think about how things such as disasters or a diaspora can present unlimited opportunities and benefits to those who can manage to adapt and survive.

I have always maintained that the mongrels are the smart dogs!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home